Saturday, February 9, 2013

A Snowy Retreat in Boone

It has been a while since I posted, and several of you kind blog readers have emailed us on how we are doing. In short, we are doing quite well. My numbers in November were continuing to improve and Dr. Kritz decided that I only needed to come by for a check up every two months.  What a difference from going to the Cancer Center daily for radiation, or being hospitalized for 31 days, or having blood work and bone strengthener every month. It may be old age or chemo brain, but I am having difficulty remembering the last time I had a Cancer Center checkup. Linda just reminded me that I do have one coming up February 22nd.

January was a busy month, so Linda and I decided to head to Boone on Friday, February 1st. The forecast called for snow, and what's better than being by a warm fire in a cozy cabin in snowy Boone? We met with good friends on Friday evening and enjoyed a wonderful meal together. Our friend John snapped a photo of me when I was out on the porch enjoying the cold weather and a view of Grandfather Mountain:



Here are the ladies:




We ventured out as a group on Saturday evening to Char, a restaurant in Boone, and after a wonderful dinner the skies opened up and the blizzard began.









Our MDX has four wheel drive and we had no problem getting home, but slipping and sliding for others was in full mode, and even our friends had trouble getting back to their mountain home. The snow continued that evening and into the following day, and we got a total of about five inches of the fluffy white stuff:

























Linda and I ventured out each day for a walk with the dogs and they had a great time:










By Wednesday, most of the snow had melted when Linda and I ventured over to Bass Lake near Blowing Rock to enjoy a cool winter evening there:





The time always goes quickly and the time to pack up and leave always comes way too fast.   Heading home on Thursday we stopped by Chapel Hill to have dinner with son, Nick, and finally arrived home about 9pm. This morning I snapped a shot of Milo recuperating from his snowy time in Boone. I think I will join him and go take a nap.



1 comment:

  1. LOVED this post! All these pictures are just so relaxing, and I'm so glad y'all had such a wonderful time up there. From getting together with best friends to spending quality time snowed-in with mom... perfect!!

    ReplyDelete