Saturday, January 29, 2011

Twelve Months Later...

Milo and I January 29th, 2011


A lot has changed in the last twelve months. A year ago today, January 29th, Linda and I met with my oncologist and heard the words "Multiple Myeloma". We knew nothing of this disease, very little about its treatments, and even less about what this year and the future would bring. We were thrown into a world of unemployment, radiation, chemotherapy, bone marrow biopsies, stem cell transplant, hospitalization, prescription pain killers, loss of independence and chronic pain.

Well, we know a lot more now, and have reshaped our lives to this new normal, praising God for all the good things He has brought, and experiencing a deeper and richer love of marriage and family than we could have ever imagined. My numbers now are very good. All the blood work is in the normal range and my M-spike is 'not observed'. I am in remission! I remain on Revlimid as maintenance chemotherapy and have experienced minimal side effects.

Twelve  months after a diagnosis that had us struggling and wondering how we would put the pieces together, we find ourselves in a good place, not yet planning ten years in the future, but cautiously optimistic that the next few years will be better than the last one. We can't say thank you enough to all those who supported us with love and prayers. We praise God for you and for His mercy as "I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through Him who gives me strength.”  Philippians 4:11-13

6 comments:

  1. Wow, Dad. One year later. What a much better place we are today than one year ago. I praise the Lord daily for how He has worked through the doctors to treat the MM as well as the pain. I praise Him that you are able to stand and are not bedridden! I praise Him that you are able to walk with a cane and not a walker! And I praise Him that you are able to sit in the recliner and be a part of the goings-on, not isolated in your bedroom. But more importantly, I praise Him for how He has been glorified through You. Your strength, your testimony, your perseverance in Him. I love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tara speaks the truth...and so eloquently. At some point in life, God teaches each of us that what we think we need and what He knows we need are not, necessarily, the same thing. As I watch you and your family move through this minefield of challenges, following God's footprints for each sure step, I am strengthened in my own faith that He IS sufficient in all circumstances.

    Thank you for your witness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said, "not yet planning ten years in the future, but cautiously optimistic that the next few years will be better than the last one."

    Sing praises...most definitely. -Phil

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praise God for all that He has done, all that He is doing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are praising God with you for all He has done, I can't wait to read this to our faithful Wednesday night prayer meeting folks who have been faithfully praying for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking good there Big EZ!
    Thank you for the positive example you have been to those of us on the outside that have journeyed with you and Linda. It speaks volumns to so many and Jay and I are thankful to gained from your faith and love in the Lord with this all! We love you both!

    ReplyDelete