I was looking back to when our blog began on 1/29/10 with a post by Tara called "Prayers for My Dad". Ernie had begun radiation, he was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma, I was no longer working and he had lost his job, we were scared of losing our home, and our whole world as we knew it felt like it was falling apart.
Tara quoted Psalm 91:14-15 Because he loves me, says the LORD, I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name. He will call upon me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him, with long life will I satisfy him and show him my salvation. What a wonderful scripture to cling to in times like these and God has, as always, proven himself to be faithful and true.
Tara asked for prayer for Ernie and our family, that his treatment would be effective and that God's glory and power would be revealed in our lives. We will not know if his transplant was effective in erradicating his cancer for another 3-6 months, but we sure are hopeful that it has, and we pray that our walk has truly revealed God's power at work in us. He has gone above and beyond in caring for us and answering the prayers of so many who have lifted us up. Here is a partial list (I could go on and on and on, but you may have other things to do!)
1. We prayed for Ernie's tolerance for radiation and chemo and praise God he did really well with his treatments!
2. We look back on that terrifying Sunday in March when the nerve pain down both legs was so bad he could no longer bear weight and walk, and we had to call 911 and have him admitted to the hospital. After 26 bedridden days in the hospital, pneumonia, and many failed medical attempts to relieve the pain, we all prayed for God's help. A young PT thought outside the box, helped Ernie to stand, and the shooting pain down the legs was gone!
3. We look back on the prayers of many that we might be able to find a way to stay in our home, even if we had to sell many other possessions to do it. God opened doors we never expected and we are still in our home.
4. We wondered how we would ever afford Ernie's medical expenses. Then there was Standing in the Gap for Ernie Baker, and the generosity of so many provided funds beyond our wildest dreams.
5. With unemployment running out, we prayed that Ernie would get approved for disability. Seven months later, without the aid of an attorney, he was approved!
6. We look back on the prayers that Ernie would be a candidate for bone marrow transplant, and they were answered...he qualified!
7. We prayed that I would not get sick so that I could be Ernie's caregiver. I've remained healthy and well!
8. We prayed for the whole transplant process to go smoothly without complications such as severe vomiting or diarrhea, infection or mouthsores. Ernie's side effects were very minimal and he had no infections or mouth sores and his numbers continued to rise.
9. We prayed that I would be able to get Ernie to the Clinic every day from the apartment and that his mobility would remain strong. Those prayers were completely answered.
10. We prayed we would be able to go home in 2-3 weeks after transplant. We went home on Day of Transplant +16!
Today we have a follow up appointment with our home oncologist, Dr. Kritz. We fully expect more answered prayer for good bloodwork showing a red blood, white blood, and platelet count that continues to rise.
Ernie is now able to walk with only a cane and is having to take much less pain medication. His ability to sit and bend is improving, little by little. He has never fallen or had a fracture with his disease, which is a rarity.
All of these things point to a God who loves us, cares for us, strengthens us in times of trial, and ANSWERS PRAYER! Thank you for being faithful to pray. Please continue to lift Ernie up and to God be all the glory!
All glory to God! Writing all that down in a bullet point list really does point to an AMAZING GOD who loves us!ReplyDelete
The Holland's continue to pray for Ernie and the entire family! We love you!
amazing. God is so good! we love you guys. bon and the famReplyDelete
That is amazing! praise the Lord!ReplyDelete
what a great way to show how wonderful and faithful God is! Thanks for this list! I'm so glad you are doing so much better Mr. Ernie!ReplyDelete
It is neat to see all the answered prayers written out! To God be the glory...great things He has done!ReplyDelete
So many answered prayers! The power of prayer is awesome! Our God is awesome! Thank you prayer warriors. Thank you God!ReplyDelete
Boy, the reminder of all the answered prayers here sure is powerful. God is so good and we would all do well to make a list of all the answered prayers in our own lives. We serve an amazing, loving God. So happy for the continued progress and so proud to call you both friends!ReplyDelete
This post was good medicine. To read and see answered prayers!! Our God is an awesome God!! We also are feeling the power of prayer. Amen and AmenReplyDelete